CMSD Board of Education Appointment Information
The City of Cleveland is now accepting applications for appointments to the Cleveland Metropolitan School District Board of Education.
These board appointments are filling unexpired terms ending June 30, 2025.
All applications should be submitted through the online portal or dropped off at:
Nominating Panel of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District
ATT: Michele Pomerantz
City of Cleveland City Hall
601 Lakeside Avenue, Room 227
Cleveland, OH 44114
Submitting an application:
- Complete the 2023 CMSD Board of Education Application to apply online.
- Applications that are faxed, or given to school employees or board members will not be accepted.
- To be considered for appointment, applicants must be residents of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District.
- Employees of the School District and elected public officials are prohibited by State law from serving on the School Board.
Answer all questions in the space provided in the application and complete them fully.
If you have any questions, please contact Chief of Education Michele Pomerantz at MPomerantz@clevelandohio.gov.
What is the Board of Education?
The Board of Education serves as the governing body of the Cleveland Municipal School District. The Board, with the concurrence of the Mayor, appoints the Chief Executive Officer of the School District. Other Board responsibilities include:
- setting School District policy,
- approving the School District budget,
- establishing School District goals and accountability standards, and
- promoting parent, family and community involvement in the schools.
This is a unique governance structure, as all other school districts in Ohio elect members to their boards of education.
What is the CMSD Nominating Panel and how are members selected?
The Cleveland Municipal School District Nominating Panel was created as a part of Ohio House Bill 269, which established the Mayor-Appointed Board governance structure in 1998. The Nominating Panel is charged with nominating a slate of persons for each Board of Education vacancy. The Mayor may only select from persons nominated by the Nominating Panel in making his appointments to the Board of Education.
The Nominating Panel is made up of eleven volunteer members selected as follows:
- Three members are parents or guardians of children attending the Cleveland Metropolitan Schools, who are appointed by the School District’s Parent Teacher Association, or a similar organization.
- Three members are appointed by the Mayor.
- One person is appointed by the President of Cleveland City Council.
- One teacher is appointed by the collective bargaining representative of the Cleveland Teachers Union.
- One principal is appointed through a vote of CMSD’s Principals.
- One representative of the business community is appointed by an organized collective business entity selected by the Mayor, currently the Greater Cleveland Partnership.
- One president of a public or private institution of higher education located within the Cleveland Metropolitan School District is appointed by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
How many Board of Education members are appointed by the Mayor?
Under Ohio law, nine members of the Board of Education of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District are appointed by the Mayor of the City of Cleveland. There will be appointments made for five seats in June 2023.
How are School Board vacancy applications processed?
All Board vacancy applications are submitted to the Mayor’s Chief of Education and can be found on the City’s website. The Chief of Education then forwards all applications to the community-based Nominating Panel members. Thereafter, the Mayor can appoint persons from a slate of nominees recommended to him by the Nominating Panel.
How long is a Board of Education member’s term?
Board of Education members serve four-year terms.
Who is in charge of the School District?
CMSD’s Chief Executive Officer runs the School District, and the Mayor of the City of Cleveland serves as the appointing authority of the Board of Education